Computer Games

Topics about your favorite video games (war game related).
Madison
Uber-Oberst
Uber-Oberst

Computer Games

Post by Madison » Thu Oct 02, 2014 2:00 am

I've been thinking about buying Gary Grigsby's war in the east, has anyone played it? Thoughts?

Matrix games has a shit ton of ww2 games and Unity of Command seemed interesting. I grabbed the demo and played a few turns. It's ok, but leans on the simplistic side, though it's very easy to play.

Any others people like?

DaveM1
Major
Major

Re: Computer Games

Post by DaveM1 » Thu Oct 02, 2014 4:19 pm

Matrix has a bunch of stuff - but be aware that they do a LOT of straight porting. Not bad for recent titles, but things can be clunky and graphics poor for older ones.

I absolutely loved their Uncommon Valor title (SW Pacific Operational). Have Korsun Pocket, which has tremendous reputation, but never got around to learning and playing it. Personally I'm a little hesitant with Grigsby's products, as he has a reputation for utterly massive projects that can be so big and overwhelming that some consider them unfinishable.

On the other hand, we do play monster wargames....

firefly17pdr
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Post by firefly17pdr » Sat Oct 18, 2014 11:55 pm

We have a group who is currently playing a Vassal based version of the EFS. A campaign game is available, but it is so big you have to play it as AGN and AGC, and then AGS. It can be managed. John M. and I are doing it right now, and we are up to turn 6. What I like about it is that you can use it as a play aid for face to face gaming, and the most current modules incorporate rules changes and additions that are not part of the boxed games. I intend to buy the upgraded version of AGN and AGS when they come out. Rumor is that AGC and Typhoon will be combined into one game.

Ron

firefly17pdr
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Post by firefly17pdr » Sat Dec 06, 2014 10:03 pm

The Vassal Module for the EFS Series is magnificent. The maps are incredible, and the renderings of the counters are incredible. All of the charts are available on the most recent iterations of the games, and all you really need is a set of the most current rules (Crimea). Orders of appearance are accurate, and come with notes as to where they appear, or if there are withdrawals.

We hope to be able to record the game up to the point when Winterfest is finished, and resume play at next year's Winterfest from the recorded positions. Should really be a good chance to finish up a game for once!!

Ron