1985: Under An Iron Sky Game Prep

Forum to discuss 2019 gaming
KevinRohrer
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class

1985: Under An Iron Sky Game Prep

Post by KevinRohrer » Thu Nov 29, 2018 2:29 am

I have agreed to host this game and will be at the con to setup starting Friday morning. I will be there each-day, all-day and evening, w/ the exception of (I believe) Tues & Wed daytime due to work. Will be there those days after 4p.

The game is big w/ the map area being around 8.5' in length and 2000 counters. I will have two sets of rules available, and participants are welcome to goto the publisher's web site for their own copy.

I anticipate (hopefully) two teams of three players each; w/ two players on each side handing the ground war, while the third player handles the air war. So far, it looks like two people are interested, Todd ? and Lee Hanna. Others interested should post here, so we can get the details worked out.

Here is a link to the rules and charts:

https://trlgames.com/1985-under-an-iron-sky/

TEJ
1st Lieutennant
1st Lieutennant

Re: 1985: Under An Iron Sky Game Prep

Post by TEJ » Fri Nov 30, 2018 11:31 pm

Kevin,

I am excited to sink my teeth into this thing. The rules look organized and complete without being crazy complicated. The genre is becoming relevant again, unfortunately. The mechanics look beautiful and effective.

I notice aloud for anyone who might be interested: this is a game that addresses the last real chance for the Soviets to win a conventional war in Europe. This is before the US had all the tools to run a devastating air-land battle (Hercules instead of Patriot, AH-1 vice AH-64, no JSTARS, M1 but not A1, few rockets, etc) so this will not be a revisiting of Desert Storm with some forests and towns. The Sovs have SA2 and 3, not 10 and 11, and gobs of total crap planes to go with a few much better squadrons, but quantity has a quality and I expect that especially on the first playing the Sovs will have NATO players on seat edge constantly as GSFG wears down and the category II and III formations begin to flood in.

The force structure looks appropriate. It looks to me like air units are squadrons and have 2 steps of strength. Land units for NATO are mostly regiment or brigade; for the Pact it's mostly divisional line units plus smaller arty. Enablers come mostly in battalions (SSM, ADA, SAM, EW).

Supply is a thing here with some optional rules to make it more detailed.

We will have to discuss and decide about chemical and nuclear rules.

Both sides have decisions about events in the rear and committing forces to help fight in the Atlantic or garrison the vassal states versus bringing things forward faster with possible problems arising from that.

Kevin, will we need...three tables, 72x30 each, in a thick T shape?

Todd

tombeach
Major
Major

Post by tombeach » Tue Dec 04, 2018 2:45 pm

Kevin,

How did you find cutting counters for this game? I also have it and found there was a lot of extra nibbing. Did they cut easily?

Tom

KevinRohrer
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class

Post by KevinRohrer » Tue Jan 01, 2019 3:41 am

We need at least one more person for this game to happen.

TEJ
1st Lieutennant
1st Lieutennant

Post by TEJ » Tue Jan 01, 2019 11:21 pm

Kevin,

I am really happy with the prospect of playing this thing. I think it looks awesome!

I worked my way through the rules twice with the Vassal game in front of me for context and I am impressed with how straightforward and intuitive this game is. Nonetheless, I have a few questions

1- Presuming we will use basic supply rules, are artillery, SAM, ADA, and (quality B, A, A+) embedded flak ammo
unlimited under the basic supply rules or do they always have 3 ammo points?
I think they have and ought to have 3 ammo points plus ability to spend MP to
reload during movement, just like any unit.

2- do contingency defense strengths add to normal defense strengths of other
unit(s) in hex? Do multiple contingency defense strengths add together in a
hex? I think they're just like normal defense strengths, adding together with each other and with normal defense strengths, because I don't see anything that says otherwise. [Contingency defense strengths are 1pt defense strengths of units that are supposed to avoid being shot at in ground combat, like HQ, air defense, etc.]

3- breakthrough markers cost 4MP. Is that in addition to terrain cost?
Note that breakthrough markers negate ZOCs, thereby saving some MP costs and
allowing movement "past" some enemies. I think that the marker costs 4MP and terrain, chemical contamination, and whatever else cost more MPs added to the 4MP because the breakthrough rule says it negates ZOCs and doesn't say it negates anything else.

4- during air superiority combat, are AWACS aircraft placed into the
numbered boxes to shoot and get shot at, or are they kept aside and used
only for their modifiers? I note that EW squadrons are not put on the numbered boxes and suppose that AWACS are the same but I don't actually see a rule to that effect.

Todd

KevinRohrer
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class

Post by KevinRohrer » Sun Jan 06, 2019 2:12 pm

Todd,

I have not taken a look at this game and won't until after the con I am attending this month. We also need at least one more player for the game to happen.