Line of Battle (LOB) ACW game proposal

Forum to discuss 2019 gaming
Thohead
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Line of Battle (LOB) ACW game proposal

Post by Thohead » Tue Nov 13, 2018 10:02 pm

I would like to host a LOB series game for the con. The most well known in the series is Last Chance for Victory (Gettysburg), which would need 5-6 players as a minimum for the full battle. Just the 1st day? I'll play it with as few as 1 opponent. Other games in the series for fewer players than 6 (or a similar number ) are: None But Heroes (Antietam) and South Mountain. Additionally, the regimental series games from an earlier iteration of the series and readily playable with the LOB rules. These are: This Terrible Sound (Chickamauga) and A Fearful Slaughter (Shiloh). I am open to hosting any of these games for any number of players.

LOB is a fast paced, intuitive and easily comprehensible rules for regimental ACW battles. I am experienced and have played nearly all of these games as well as using the system with other similar scaled games (GBACW). I know that I can teach anyone who has an interest to play the system in under 30'. So don't be shy about joining in. If you only want to commit for a few days, then don't let that detract you from joining. Play a longer game for a few days or if a group wants a shorter 2-3 day game, I can accommodate that. Questions, concerns, volunteers?

Thomas Cadenhead

thatlee
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major

Re: Line of Battle (LOB) ACW game proposal

Post by thatlee » Tue Dec 04, 2018 8:11 pm

Well, this game has been on my bucket list for the past 2-3 years. If 4 or so players are involved then I'm very, very interested. I don't own the game/ have never played so much depends on the format, so consider me interested, but not fully committed...
Lee

jipster
Private
Private

Post by jipster » Wed Dec 12, 2018 3:50 pm

I've played the older CWB games, but never this one. I'm at least interested in giving it a look.

Thohead
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by Thohead » Wed Dec 26, 2018 6:47 pm

During several (non related) gaming sessions in recent weeks, I have advertised a LOB game at this con. I now have 2 more, perhaps 3, who want to game this system. Initially, they are in for the holiday 3 day weekend. Counting Lee, we have 4-6 players. There was also votes for playing "This Terrible Sound" i.e. Chickamauga. Certainly, the long weekend will allow us to game the battle's first day. With additional commitment later that week, we can continue the battle into the 2nd day.

I plan to run a training scenario for Ohio locals, at their convenience, prior to the con.

Thomas

thatlee
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major

Post by thatlee » Wed Dec 26, 2018 9:06 pm

I am concerned that the game would end so soon - just a 3 day weekend. On the other hand it seems like at least four players are present and that is good news.
Lee

Thohead
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by Thohead » Thu Dec 27, 2018 1:45 am

Lee: You, I and John are available to continue the battle further. I'm hopeful that we'll find more recruits in the meantime or once the con starts.

Thohead
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by Thohead » Thu Dec 27, 2018 1:48 am

jipster wrote:
Wed Dec 12, 2018 3:50 pm
I've played the older CWB games, but never this one. I'm at least interested in giving it a look.
Jonathan

It would be great if you were to join us. I think the transition from CWB to LOB is an easy one. CWB games are a consideration, using LOB rules. Have you played "Terrible Sound"?

Feel free to send me any queries on here or privately if you wish.

Thohead
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by Thohead » Fri Feb 08, 2019 8:03 pm

Over the last 2 weekends, I have trained 4 guys to play Line of Battle. As our learning game, we played Last Chance for Victory's (Gettysburg) first day. Everyone loved the system and had a blast. We decided that our game for the con will be A Terrible Sound (Chickamauga). We are looking at having 6 players, more or less, for the long weekend. After which we will lose a couple, but should still have 4. So there is still an opportunity for anyone to jump in and join us, particularly from Tues on, and try the system out. I know I'll be teaching at least one guy on the weekend and its an easy game to learn.

jipster
Private
Private

Post by jipster » Wed Feb 13, 2019 7:27 pm

Hi Thomas. I posted earlier, and am still interested in this. Haven't played the system before but can likely pick it up quickly?

I also hope to get in on one of the big OCS games. Being my first time at WinterFest, I don't really understand how that works out or if it is reasonable to try to do two things at once.

- Jonathan