Seven Days Campaign Game

Winterfest #19
DaveM1
Major
Major

Re: Seven Days Campaign Game

Post by DaveM1 » Thu Feb 04, 2016 1:43 pm

I'd be happy to cover shipping the game back and forth if Mr Beach was willing.

Clarifying:
Are we talking about a series of individual game boxes that were to be combined in a self made monster game, or is it a scenario from one of the boxes?

kqrgcw
Captain
Captain

Post by kqrgcw » Fri Feb 05, 2016 12:48 am

My understanding of the Seven Days Campaign game brigade series is that there are 3 different games that mesh into one big one.

Roger

thatlee
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major

Post by thatlee » Fri Feb 05, 2016 9:27 pm

This looks like a job for the 40 Specially Trained Ecuadoran Mountain Llamas...

Racine
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Post by Racine » Tue Feb 09, 2016 1:18 am

Lee and Merv,

Just read your frank comments about Tom. A bit hard on him I would say. You guys need to understand that he is an independent contractor who depends on phone calls at the last moment to be the sound guy for filming commercials, documentaries and short films and goes short and sometimes long periods without work. Definitely not steady income and regular hours with vacation benefits. I'm not saying he doesn't make a decent living.

In fairness to him you need to direct your valid comments to me, for Tom offered that I could bring the game to Winterfest but I declined as I did not want to be responsible for his game, maps and playing pieces.

So if you want to put me in my place or would rather that I forgo your companionship, please let me know. I can take it.

Otherwise, I'll see you Friday.

Dave Nelson

DaveM1
Major
Major

Post by DaveM1 » Tue Feb 09, 2016 12:23 pm

Dave:

Let's all put on our "blessed are the peacemakers" hats!

As you explain it now, the situation makes sense. But I'd encourage you to not take offense at Lee Hamer's and Merv's reaction. Just as Tom's and your perspective is understandable, can you see how suddenly losing the game (after all that hard work learning it and the gleeful anticipation of playing the monster out) would feel to those involved? And can you see, with them only knowing what was posted, something just didn't sit right?

In fact - the explanation provided AT THE TIME was a bit disingenuous.

But let's think of it this way: Quoting "Cool Hand Luke", what we have here is a failure to communicate. Not malice, not nastiness, not vindictiveness, but a failure to communicate.

Here's what you SAID:
Racine wrote:
..snip...

But he clarified his offer to us, in that he was offering to send either a scenario of The 7 Days or a two mapper campaign game of Gettysburg or another game with the same basic rules.

...snip...

Now to general readers (like me) your explanation sounds like Tom made the decision that when his work prevented him from coming (which NEVER was the problem; have you noticed how many others have had to change their plans this year?) he was willing only to do one of two things, neither of which were to let someone else take responsibility for the games get them to and from the Fest. And that's what sat wrong with people -- why not let people play? Is it lack of trust? (Some among us would be willing to provide guarantees backed ultimately by willingness to buy replacements if necessary) Is it a control thing? (Some explicitly said they'd be willing to pick up the games or pay for the shipping.) What is going on??

That's why Lee and Merv (two of the gentlest, least likely to get angry guys I know) got worked up. The situation as presented Just Wasn't Right. Just Wasn't Fair.

The truth, it turns out, makes perfect sense.

Racine wrote: ...snip..

.In fairness to him you need to direct your valid comments to me, for Tom offered that I could bring the game to Winterfest but I declined as I did not want to be responsible for his game, maps and playing pieces.

...snip.....

Dave Nelson
Not to be mean, Dave, but if you'd just said that in the first place none of this would have happened. Your first posted explanation put the responsibility for not sharing the games on Tom, and nobody who read that post could understand the real situation. Maybe Todd would have been willing to take that responsibility, guarantee the pieces and boards, and picked the game up on his way here. A few posts ago I offered to do the same thing but by shipping the games here. But all we knew was that "Tom offered to send...a scenario"

--------------------

Understand that we're a community of good guys. And to be honest, most of us couldn't imagine doing what we were told Tom was doing -- holding back sharing when others in the gang were depending on us. That's what got the reaction (and again, most definitely it was not his suddenly being unable to attend!)

Now that we know the whole story, trust me when I say that nobody's going to be mad at Tom for not being able to come. In fact, I'd bet that if no one was willing to take responsibility for the game then no one would be upset that it couldn't be there. But (again, not trying to be pushy) things might be smoother next time if everybody involved would just tell the whole story straight up.

I'm all in favor of putting the entire thing behind us, and just having fun. Here's to a great, resentment free Winterfest!

Racine
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Post by Racine » Tue Feb 09, 2016 2:56 pm

Dave

Thanks for your reply. In retrospect I see where by not giving the whole story I misled everyone. Meqa culpa. Lo siento. The explanations sort of just evolved but now I see I was the root cause of the problem. Not intentional, I assure you. I will apologize to Todd, Roger, Lee and Merve Friday.

Dave Nelson

thatlee
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major

Post by thatlee » Tue Feb 09, 2016 10:43 pm

Dave Nelson

I carry no hard feelings toward you at all, so apology accepted and I look forward to seeing you on Friday!
As far as the Seven Days game is concerned, there are lessons to be learned – for us here at Winter Fest and for Mr. Beach as well.

Going forward at Winter Fest, I think we need to insure that new people are on the same page with us “regulars” regarding responsibility. We may want a set of guidelines for folks who want to run a week long monster. Most of us take for granted that a person who is running a game will in fact run that game when the time comes. It is a serious commitment. It is not something a person agrees to do unless something else comes up.

Regarding Mr. Beach, I would rather not talk about someone who is not present, but I will say this – I disagree that I was hard on him. I am very clear on who dropped the baby, so to speak, and I feel that he needs to acknowledge it was his baby.

Lee Hamer

TEJ
Captain
Captain

Post by TEJ » Wed Feb 10, 2016 12:22 am

I am eagerly anticipating the end of my imminent, long drive to WFest, followed by a week of quality gaming, mixed with just a touch of the work that pays the bills and sends me places where I can experience new games.

Dave, were you in agreement with the few rules understandings that Tom brought up on this board over the past weeks?

Interestingly, after the discussion about conferences and councils, I found on one late printing of a combat chart a revised text of the conference rule that clarifies things tremendously well.

The more I think it through, the more I like the optional 'road column' rule. I think it will be quite nice and not as problematic as I'd feared at first.

Racine
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Post by Racine » Wed Feb 10, 2016 6:43 am

I really don't have much experience with these rules but I agree that we should use the extended road march rule as well a fatique (sp) and look forward to seeing the chart revision you speak of. Tom and I tried a couple of times but never seemed to get much more than several turns in, never close combat. But I'll do my best as rebs.

mignered
First Sergeant
First Sergeant

Post by mignered » Wed Feb 10, 2016 1:00 pm

All,

As someone who is new to Winterfest I would like to offer a suggestion or two.

1. The real name of the poster should be listed. For those of you who have been here for 10 or 15 years I am sure that there is no
confusion.

2. People should be required to sign up for a game. That way a thread can be set up and all discussion clearly seen. Having a game captain or honcho is a good idea.

3. When people signup for a game they should be fully committed to it as long as any member of the group wants to continue. Side games should be viewed as just that and should never divert someone's attention from their main choice. If someone wants to do open gaming that should be an option on registration. To me this is ethical and courteous.

4. Read the game's rules and follow the concensus of fellow gamers at the table. I have seen people ignore rules that they disagree with at other cons. Hope that is not a problem here.

My $.02

Look forward to seeing everybody.