Big Games for "Winerfest" 2020!

Forum to discuss 2020 gaming
Ardwulf
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class

Big Games for "Winerfest" 2020!

Post by Ardwulf » Thu Sep 12, 2019 3:08 pm

Okay, so here's a landing thread to put the rundown of the large-footprint things we know, or expect, are happening so far at Fest 2020. Comments, ideas, suggestions, corrections and additional input are welcome below. I will add to the top post as input is received or as info flows in from other sources.

Updated 9/24/19

Confirmed to be Happening
Federation & Empire: At least one, maybe 2 big tables of this running.

Probably Happening but Need Confirmation
Big OCS Thing: Pretty sure Marcus, Tony & Co. will be in attendance to run part or all of the super-mondo-giant East Front experience. Can accommodate at least 2.1 billion players.
Great Campaigns of the American Civil War: Assuming Roger will be able to make it.

Proposals
Grand Tactical Series: Rick and I had discussed GTS Greatest Day for 2020. I will reach out to him to guage interest.
GOSS: Latest word from DG is that Lucky Forward and an updated rulebook may be out by February.
Thunder in the East/Frank Chadwick's ETO: This seems to be happening at every event in the region these days. Maybe we can swing a playtest kit for the upcoming Med War volume?
Europa: Those in the know say that a playable kit of Total War is available.
Last edited by Ardwulf on Tue Sep 24, 2019 7:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.
-----
Gary N. Mengle/Ardwulf
https://www.youtube.com/ardwulfslair

Madison
Uber-Oberst
Uber-Oberst

Re: Big Games for "Winerfest" 2020!

Post by Madison » Thu Sep 12, 2019 4:38 pm

Good options here Gary. If I'm going to even think about the OCS TW, HC etc et all, I am going to have to get a slot where the action is, otherwise I'm going to pass. I'm open for DAK, OCS Case Blue/Summer 42 offensive and BtR. Would be interested in something new. I hear Greg Sarnecki has everything needed to play HMS/GRD/MIA/KIA Total War and would be willing to step back 20 years into Europa, albeit for nostalgic purposes.

Open to other suggestions...

mignered
First Sergeant
First Sergeant

Post by mignered » Sun Sep 15, 2019 7:29 am

I can understand Mr Madison’s concern with the
Third Winter northern extensions.
The 3 hour gaps and downtime in these big East Front games are problematic enough. When you compound that with playing a quiet part of the front, it can make the entire experience tedious. However, the opportunity to interact with and play with some of the best OCS luminaries can sharpen your play and knowledge of the system.

In terms of alternatives I certainly wouldn’t want to spend the week in endless rounds of inconsequential air battles and knocking over stacks the size of a Vienna sausage.

Ardwulf
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class

Post by Ardwulf » Tue Sep 17, 2019 2:24 pm

I personally am open to most large-format suggestions, Europa being one exception. We spent a year plus playing Second Front and I have had my fill of it for the decade, although at some point I could be open to a small game in the Balkans or Norway.

At some point fairly soon we should see an update from Multi-Man that I hope will say that Hungarian Rhapsody will be out by then.
-----
Gary N. Mengle/Ardwulf

nashvillen
Corporal
Corporal

Post by nashvillen » Tue Sep 24, 2019 3:05 am

Federation and Empire will be at least one game. We don’t know if we will have enough for two games at this time.

Ardwulf
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class

Post by Ardwulf » Tue Sep 24, 2019 4:43 pm

nashvillen wrote:
Tue Sep 24, 2019 3:05 am
Federation and Empire will be at least one game. We don’t know if we will have enough for two games at this time.
If it makes a difference, there are at least two people over thisaways who might be up for a noob-friendly Fed & Empire game.
-----
Gary N. Mengle/Ardwulf

nashvillen
Corporal
Corporal

Post by nashvillen » Sun Sep 29, 2019 2:51 pm

We can probably make that happen if space is available.

KevinRohrer
First Sergeant
First Sergeant

Post by KevinRohrer » Thu Oct 17, 2019 12:51 am

I just received the new War Room (A&A successor) and would be interested in hosting a 5-player game of this.

Am also interested in TK2.

TEJ
Captain
Captain

Post by TEJ » Fri Nov 01, 2019 2:14 am

If the big league OCS crew visits again, I wonder if there might be later scenario playtests of TTW. There was talk last year of testing something other than the main campaign game.

Similarly, there could be a test of Hero City as a standalone game. With suitable upgrades from the first year of flight tests, and with plenty of simulcast turns presuming that the Sovs don't get 12+ SP per turn, that could play to completion and could be fun.

A standalone Army Group Center / Belorussia sector game could also be fun. Sure, there would be simulcast turns while SPs accumulated, but that's no bad thing.

mignered
First Sergeant
First Sergeant

Post by mignered » Sat Nov 09, 2019 11:28 am

I agree with TEJ’s (whoever he is).
If a scenario is available for the liberation of the Leningrad region, that would be interesting.
The Forgotten Battles linked with TTW would be fun as the two campaigns are naturally linked.

Depending on interest, two German and two Soviet players for TTW coupled with one German and one Soviet for FB would give everyone something to do with minimal downtime.