Time For Trumpets -- Pre-release Sorta Playtest Opportunity!!

Forum to discuss 2019 gaming
DaveM1
Major
Major

Time For Trumpets -- Pre-release Sorta Playtest Opportunity!!

Post by DaveM1 » Mon Oct 08, 2018 7:06 pm

Folks:

So I recently met Bruno Sinigaglio, the designer of the "in-final-stages" battalion scale Battle of the Bulge game "A Time for Trumpets." To make a long story short, he has offered us a chance to play the game at Winterfest: He's already sent me the rules and charts, and should the game not be released by then he'll ship us the only playtest copy in existence so we can give it a whirl.

While not strictly a playtest (the game is in final proofing), we have the chance to play this new system either hot off the presses, or immediately after release.

Why try a different Bulge game at all?
  • Rules are CLEAR, CONCISE, and have had the complete attention of a competent developer. There are no cross-references to non-existent rules and the language has been carefully edited to minimize confusion.
    Extensive playtesting for five years, with a designer who'll listen if you've got a point you can back up. Sinigaglio was a wargamer long before becoming a designer, and he's a humble, nice guy.
    And that designer has some chops, being designer or co-designer of Battle of the Bulge (1981, AH) and Siege of Jerusalem, and being developer for Bitter Woods (in its 8th printing)
Couple Wintefest guys have expressed interest. Is this a game we'd like to play?

tombeach
Major
Major

Re: Time For Trumpets -- Pre-release Sorta Playtest Opportunity!!

Post by tombeach » Mon Oct 08, 2018 7:09 pm

Dave,

In referring back to Dave Mignery's post of a while ago, and further confirmed by myself with one of the players, 'A Time for Trumpets' is supposed to be played by a group of first-time attendees. Not sure under what conditions the game was to be played, whether released or using a playtest copy. There could certainly be a second game set up of course. Only mention this in case you want to check with Bruno.

If I am correct, the game I speak of would likely be full with the guys coming. Again, not certain. So a second game should not be discouraged for those who want to play/playtest it.

Tom Beach

DaveM1
Major
Major

Post by DaveM1 » Tue Oct 09, 2018 6:23 pm

Tom:

I'm uncertain here...are the "first time attendees" planning on bringing a commercial copy (assuming the release has happened by then)? The game still isn't out, and in fact although the rules are written they haven't been formatted for the printable rules booklet. Bruno told me the only playtest set will be used at Seattle's "Game On" the week before, and that he'd ship it to me after that.

Dave Mignery and the group aren't talking about MMP's already available "Last Blitzkrieg", are they?

tombeach
Major
Major

Post by tombeach » Tue Oct 09, 2018 9:00 pm

Dave,

Sorry if I wasn't very clear.

No, I was not told they would be playing one of Bruno's playtest copies. The assumption is that they would come to play ATfT if its released by then. I only made mention of a playtest copy they might use if Bruno had arranged for them to have one, something of which I have no knowledge or indication of. I thought perhaps Bruno had more than one playtest copy.

Tom

Ardwulf
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by Ardwulf » Thu Nov 01, 2018 4:16 pm

Dave,

Fella over in the Consimworld Winterfest folder asking about playing big bulge games. You might want to take a peek there. These may be the guys Tom was talking about, for all I know.
-----
Gary N. Mengle/Ardwulf
https://www.youtube.com/ardwulfslair

mignered
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Post by mignered » Sun Nov 04, 2018 9:47 pm

I have observed this game being played at Tempe over
the last several years.
It will not be interesting if more than 4 players total
are involved.
So far the new guys coming are Ric Digirolami, Rick
Kurtz, and Bill Quoss.
If Dave Morris or Will Willow can commit to the game for the week that would be an excellent group.

mignered
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Post by mignered » Tue Nov 06, 2018 2:35 pm

All,

The three people I mentioned about playing Time for
Trumpets are all out of state first time attendees.
If anyone is interested in playing this for the week,
I can assure you that Ricc, Bill and Rick are great guys and you will have a blast all week.
So if Dave Morris can produce the game it would be a
great gaming experience for 4.
I will be involved in Third Winter.