Our Gaming Interests

Forum to discuss 2019 gaming
KevinRohrer
First Sergeant
First Sergeant

Our Gaming Interests

Post by KevinRohrer » Mon Sep 17, 2018 1:33 am

The 2018 event was my first and I had a great time. Talked to numerous people at the BGF this weekend who plan or will try to attend.

Here is an early list of what I would like to play:

Will be bringing to teach/play:
*Democracy Under Siege (3-player)
*Rise of Totalitarianism (3-player)
*Ides of March (3-Player)

Will be bringing to play:
*DAK
*Absolute Victory--Compass Games
*Successors, 3rd ed--GMT
*Wif: Blitz! (ADG)
*Amateur to Arms (COA), the Big Board Games edition
*Napoleon Against Europe (Hexasim)
*Baptism of Fire (MMP)
*Empire of the Sun (MMP)
*Liberty Roads (Hexasim)
*Napoleon's Last Gamble (OSG)

Ardwulf
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class

Re: Our Gaming Interests

Post by Ardwulf » Wed Sep 19, 2018 2:26 pm

So given the choice, what would be your preference between the following?

* One game played all week until everyone drops from mental blowout.
* A couple of smaller but still big games.
* A game or two a day.

Bear in mind that there'll still be pickup stuff running all week. In particular, if you've never tried it, the double blind Flat Top is great fun.
-----
Gary N. Mengle/Ardwulf
https://www.youtube.com/ardwulfslair

ThisLee
Captain
Captain

Post by ThisLee » Fri Sep 21, 2018 8:32 pm

I could go for a big game, played for an 8-hour day, and a number of shorter games.

I'll be bringing: (my usuals)
Flat Top double-blind (may be a home-brew scenario this year)
God's Playground (3-4 players, 2-3 hours)
Downtown
Something from 1919-20: Red Russia, Reds!, Strike of the Eagle, and/or Red Star, White Eagle.
Empire of the Sun, also War Plan Orange and SoPac scenarios
Star Fleet Battles, some of the simpler ships (Early Years) again.

I'd like to play:
Well, I dunno. A big OCS would work-- Blitzkrieg Legend (haven't played yet), or one of the East Fronters. Dak would be nice, but seems like too small a game (in number of players)
Der WeltKrieg would be OK.
I'm always up for Europa stuff, and I could bring any one of them. Multiplayer Spanish Civil War, anyone?
There's supposed to be a medium-to-large crowd of Federation & Empire players (also a monster game, strategic Star Trek) coming this year, too, so I may play in with them.
CSS: Montelimar- I got a chance at this at Merv's and would like to try again, but I dunno how it will play for more than 2 people?

Might bring? if asked?
GDW Assault-- platoon counters of 1980s tank battles, but I have enough stuff that we could play 2-3 brigades against each other.
Memoir 44- I have a lot of scenarios and even a few campaigns of this one-hour game, including some of the 4v4 scenarios
Virgin Queen (multiplayer, 1 sitting)
Last edited by ThisLee on Tue Oct 02, 2018 6:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tombeach
Major
Major

Post by tombeach » Sat Sep 29, 2018 3:29 pm

Will be waiting to see if a grand tactical Civil War game is in the offing either in the LOB or GBACW series. Or perhaps a big GCACW game such as 'Long Roads to Gettysburg.' How are you looking, Roger?

'Empire of The Sun' sounds good.
'Napoleon's Last Gamble' would be fun (with extensions)

I would be up for:

GOSS: 'Hurtgen: Hell's Forest'
BCS: 'Last Blitzkrieg', 'Baptism By Fire'
CSS: 'Guam: Return to Glory', 'Montélimar: Anvil of Fate', 'The Little Land'
GTS: 'Greatest Day: Sword, Gold and Juno', 'Operation Mercury'
OCS: 'Beyond The Rhine', 'The Blitzkrieg Legend', 'Sicily: Triumph & Folly', 'Tunisia II'
TCS: 'Bloody 110', 'GD '42'
BAR: 'Monmouth', 'Prague', 'Fontenoy'
VG's 'The Civil War', 'Pacific 'War', 'Vietnam'
GDW 'War in the Desert'

Ardwulf
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class

Post by Ardwulf » Mon Oct 01, 2018 12:24 pm

High Level of Interest:
LOB or GCotACW. I also picked up 3DoG recently.
GTS with a preference for The Greatest Day.
GOSS; Hurtgen probably fits best in our format and has updated game-specific rules. I think if we tried Atlantic Wall (which I would love to do) we'd be best served by playing out at least some of the invasion stuff and possibly the whole June 6 AM turn beforehand so we can get right to the action at the Fest. This could be done over Vassal/Skype.

Other Observations
CSS Montelimar may have issues with a multiplayer format from what I'm hearing. I am also hearing that we have people excited about it and it may come up regardless.
There will be a big OCS game: Marcus is bringing Third Winter and probably Forgotten Battles as well. Personally my preference is not to play OCS; I have all the OCS I can handle down here locally.
-----
Gary N. Mengle/Ardwulf

Madison
Uber-Oberst
Uber-Oberst

Post by Madison » Tue Oct 02, 2018 12:50 am

I'm interested in OCS TTW / Forgotten Battles and a side game of Barbarossa Derailed.

Oh Black Orchestra as well. I'm buying it to try out.

MarkLacerenza
Private
Private

Post by MarkLacerenza » Wed Oct 03, 2018 12:19 am

My brother (Donato) and I are planning on attending this year. We spoke with Kevin and Gary at the Buckeye Game Fest and they peaked our interest in a small format war gaming venue. We are trusting Victory Games will come through with Thunder in the East by Christmas and play that while at W-F. We can only skip out of work for a few days and thus will be there Thursday-Sunday. We would like to set up a Pericles or Churchill game if we can find others to fill out the table. Mark

tombeach
Major
Major

Post by tombeach » Wed Oct 03, 2018 1:45 pm

Madison wrote:
Tue Oct 02, 2018 12:50 am
I'm interested in OCS TTW / Forgotten Battles and a side game of Barbarossa Derailed.

Oh Black Orchestra as well. I'm buying it to try out.
OCS TTW, John? Did you mean TBL (The Blitzkrieg Legend?" per chance?

Hmm... Black Orchestra. Haven't heard of it. Will look into. Great title.

Tom

BO looks like a new take on "The Plot to Assassinate Hitler." Interesting.

KevinRohrer
First Sergeant
First Sergeant

Post by KevinRohrer » Wed Oct 03, 2018 2:15 pm

MarkLacerenza wrote:
Wed Oct 03, 2018 12:19 am
My brother (Donato) and I are planning on attending this year. We spoke with Kevin and Gary at the Buckeye Game Fest and they peaked our interest in a small format war gaming venue. We are trusting Victory Games will come through with Thunder in the East by Christmas and play that while at W-F. We can only skip out of work for a few days and thus will be there Thursday-Sunday. We would like to set up a Pericles or Churchill game if we can find others to fill out the table. Mark
Great to meet you two and looking forward to seeing you both. I have a few power-politics, 3-6 player games I will try to get you two to play.

When you schedule your time off, remember that the last Sunday is *dead* and almost everybody is gone. If possible, why not come the first Fri-Sun, then the second Fri-Sat? There is a dinner that second Saturday night at a great steak place that is not to be missed.

Ardwulf
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class

Post by Ardwulf » Wed Oct 03, 2018 2:30 pm

MarkLacerenza wrote:
Wed Oct 03, 2018 12:19 am
Awesome! Kevin's right about the final Sunday, though - there are only a couple of stragglers left by that point.

TiTE looks very interesting.
tombeach wrote:
Wed Oct 03, 2018 1:45 pm
OCS TTW, John? Did you mean TBL (The Blitzkrieg Legend?" per chance?
TTE is The Third Winter.
tombeach wrote:
Wed Oct 03, 2018 1:45 pm
Hmm... Black Orchestra. Haven't heard of it. Will look into. Great title.
It's supposed to be very good.

One other thing I'll mention is that I'm planning to actually stay at the hotel this year. This will not only greatly simplify travel for me, but it means I will be available into the wee hours for side games.
-----
Gary N. Mengle/Ardwulf