Big Games Thoughts for 2019

Forum to discuss 2019 gaming
Ardwulf
Sergeant
Sergeant

Big Games Thoughts for 2019

Post by Ardwulf » Tue Sep 18, 2018 4:41 pm

Various ruminations. Just talk for now.

* There was talk of Last Chance for Victory, which I would be very interested in.

* I would as usual be interested in something GOSS. Hurtgen seems the most practical, and should be finishable within the time frame.

* Also looking to get in (at some not-too-future date) a Great Campaigns of the Anerican Civil War game. I have Roads to Gettysburg II, Stonewall jackson's Way II, Atlanta is Ours and Battle Above the Clouds ready to roll.

* Red Barricades Reprint/Red October should be in peoples' hands by then. Just sayin'.

* OCS is as always a string possibility, and Marcus plans to come to bring Third Winter again and, if possible, Forgotten battles along with it.

* In addition, I have and would like to play The Battle for Normandy, a World at War and Storm of Steel. Plus whatever smaller/fill-in stuff.
-----
Gary N. Mengle/Ardwulf
https://www.youtube.com/ardwulfslair

KevinRohrer
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Re: Big Games Thoughts for 2019

Post by KevinRohrer » Wed Sep 19, 2018 2:32 am

For big games, I would like to try:

*Absolute Victory (Compass)
*DAK
*Napoleon's Last Gamble (OSG).

DaveM1
Major
Major

Post by DaveM1 » Thu Oct 04, 2018 5:17 am

I've got two Bulge suggestions:
  • Time for Trumpets, the new battalion level coming from GMT. Though it's not available yet, the designer has sent me rules and charts so we could prep. It'll likely be shipped by the fest but if not he's also offered to ship his playtest kit for Winterfest

The Last Blitzkrieg by MMP. Also large scale and playable
I'm wary of GOSS because of the rulebook, to be honest.

DaveM1
Major
Major

Post by DaveM1 » Thu Oct 04, 2018 5:19 am

We've also looked at playing Compass' Montelimar, part of the Company Scale Series. Lee Hanna and I played a turn at Merv's and the game looks fun.

Ardwulf
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Ardwulf » Thu Oct 04, 2018 3:43 pm

DaveM1 wrote:
Thu Oct 04, 2018 5:19 am
We've also looked at playing Compass' Montelimar, part of the Company Scale Series. Lee Hanna and I played a turn at Merv's and the game looks fun.
Bear in mind that I have the Guam game in that series as well.
-----
Gary N. Mengle/Ardwulf

MTierney
Major
Major

Post by MTierney » Mon Oct 08, 2018 12:57 am

Gary,
I just recently got back to the Atlantic Wall game that has sat untouched in a corner for a year. Having great fun with it even solitaire. Any interest in doing Whacht am Rhine?

P.S. After posting this I saw your comment about Atlantic Wall. I would be all in for that!

Merv

tombeach
Major
Major

Post by tombeach » Mon Oct 08, 2018 12:07 pm

I would definitely be interested in Wacht Am Rhein or Atlantic Wall (GOSS).

Would be nice to get an early go-for-go so as to brush-up on the rules.

Ardwulf
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Ardwulf » Wed Oct 10, 2018 1:01 pm

Talking to Merv backstage about AW. Things look promising.
-----
Gary N. Mengle/Ardwulf

tombeach
Major
Major

Post by tombeach » Wed Oct 10, 2018 3:05 pm

That's positive news.

I had mentioned this at some point after our last game of AW2 a few years back. But considering it is percolating, I thought I'd mention it again to keep it part of the discussion going forward.

Given we spent one full day and part of the second just resolving landings, I would like to suggest that whomever plays the Allies, all Airborne Drops and Amphib Landings be conducted in advance of Winterfest and be logged as part of the set-up at the con. I realize this poses some issues (for instance, I as a German player would be fine with all movement and fire results being handled by Allied players) and a lot of pre-play work. But it would free-up great amounts of time.

I would be interested to hear what kind of thoughts others have on this proposal.

Ardwulf
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Ardwulf » Wed Oct 10, 2018 3:17 pm

tombeach wrote:
Wed Oct 10, 2018 3:05 pm
Given we spent one full day and part of the second just resolving landings, I would like to suggest that whomever plays the Allies, all Airborne Drops and Amphib Landings be conducted in advance of Winterfest and be logged as part of the set-up at the con. I realize this poses some issues (for instance, I as a German player would be fine with all movement and fire results being handled by Allied players) and a lot of pre-play work. But it would free-up great amounts of time.
This is basically exactly what we are talking about doing: playing out all the Airborne and amphib stuff in advance and starting, at the Fest, with either the regular June 6 turn with all the invasion stuff done, or with the June 6 PM turn. Details would need to be worked out. Not only the logistics of it, but how we'd handle the FoW units that might still be on the map when we took that pause.
-----
Gary N. Mengle/Ardwulf