Vassal to the 2018 Fest

Madison
Uber-Oberst
Uber-Oberst

Vassal to the 2018 Fest

Post by Madison » Tue Feb 21, 2017 3:53 am

I'm interested in trying a Vassal game and continuing it at Winterfest for the week. I'm leaning OCS but would consider perhaps another go at the GMT series, or something along those lines.

Any interest?

DaveM1
Major
Major

Re: Vassal to the 2018 Fest

Post by DaveM1 » Wed Feb 22, 2017 6:34 pm

Vassal? Absolutely. And it'd be great to get farther along in a monster scenario than we usually do.

But OCS? Really? Again?? :roll:

There are SOOOO many other theaters and systems! Branch out a little, my man!

TEJ
Captain
Captain

Post by TEJ » Thu Feb 23, 2017 4:28 am

For the past few days, I've been kicking around the same idea.

There was discussion of doing another Der Weltkrieg game next year but starting it later in the war. **We played NINE months of the war during this year's Winterfest, with 60% of players having never played before, so the game DOES move along well.** Would anyone be interested in whipping up a Vassal grand campaign that we could put on the table next year or the year after? Doing that would allow players to try different grand strategies and to consider economic incentives in their operational and tactical actions. We could also agree to have Winterfest gaming be "wargaming within the game" and have the Vassal campaign optionally not be impacted by Winterfest events, rather using Vassal to generate starting points for Winterfest. Also, new players could try the system beforehand and find out that they like it (or don't) before committing to playing it at Winterfest.

That said, I have a tiny taste for GMT's East Front and might be convinced to Vassal it through the year to get a later campaign start point for the next Winterfest. I'm not committing to it now but if there was interest I might participate in it.

Madison
Uber-Oberst
Uber-Oberst

Post by Madison » Thu Feb 23, 2017 7:18 pm

Food for thought! Let me look around for something other than OCS, and yes I'll give some consideration to WW1, as well as GMT.

Thanks for the replies.

TEJ
Captain
Captain

Post by TEJ » Thu Mar 02, 2017 1:16 am

With nearly 60 views, this thread is sparking few responses. :(

It's decided that thisLee, DaveM1, and TEJ are going to be starting something DWK by Vassal soon. If anyone wants to try DWK, please speak up now.

Roger, do you Vassal?

If someone commits for 'in a couple of months' or 'soon' we can probably work something with a later entering or growing country or theater, or perhaps just drive a larger army and split it later.

kqrgcw
Captain
Captain

Post by kqrgcw » Sun Apr 23, 2017 3:30 pm

Got back from the hospital a few weeks ago after quadruple bypass so this is the first time I have looked at this.

Unfortunatly I have found the vassal system and all those types to be almost incomprehensible to me and difficult and time consuming. I quess that's what happens when you are a luddite.

kqrgcw
Captain
Captain

Post by kqrgcw » Sun Apr 23, 2017 3:37 pm

For the real adventerous at heart I would suggest Europa Universalis. This is NOT the computer game but a board game that covers 300 years of world history from the 1490's to the French Revolution. All major powers in Europe are covored with hundreds of random events. Player finances are important as going banckrupt is really bad. Besides a complete diplomatic system the game covers exploration and colonization, building ones economy and the great struggles in Europe. This game has everything from the Protestant Revolution to Frederick the Greats "Potato War".

I would take the role of "Game master" handling minor countries, random events and aiding and assisting players.

After 2-3 turns players should have the basics down.

Roger