Bring Some Order to Chaos! Who's Playing What When??

HQ for planning the next gaming event in Sandusky
Thohead
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Re: Bring Some Order to Chaos! Who's Playing What When??

Post by Thohead » Sat Jan 24, 2015 3:56 am

I am new to the forum and this will be my first attendance at Winterfest. I am a near local guy (Oberlin) who was invited by Dave. I won't be able to attend full time for the week, but I would like to target my attendance around particular games. Therefore it would be most helpful if there can be some form of a schedule for some the the side games.

I am particularly interested in playing the following games:

God's Playground
Here I Stand (or Virgin Queen)
Flying Colors; perhaps Close Action
Bloody April
I may try SPW as I'm a big WW1 fan
Line of Battle if one can be spun up. I have all of the series.

Is anyone into MARNE 1918? Its a fabulous game; a mini monster due to length and perfect for 4 players.

Thomas

DaveM1
Major
Major

Post by DaveM1 » Sat Jan 24, 2015 11:56 am

Thohead wrote:I am new to the forum and this will be my first attendance at Winterfest. I am a near local guy (Oberlin) who was invited by Dave. I won't be able to attend full time for the week, but I would like to target my attendance around particular games. Therefore it would be most helpful if there can be some form of a schedule for some the the side games.

I am particularly interested in playing the following games:

God's Playground
Here I Stand (or Virgin Queen)
Flying Colors; perhaps Close Action
Bloody April
I may try SPW as I'm a big WW1 fan
Line of Battle if one can be spun up. I have all of the series.

Is anyone into MARNE 1918? Its a fabulous game; a mini monster due to length and perfect for 4 players.

Thomas

So it sounds like Here I Stand will be Monday night, and Close Action will be the Sunday right before. Both of these are planned for evening. If you're interested in those two then it sounds like the beginning of the week is going to be your thing.

Many (but not all) of the guys have time intensive games planned for the daytime hours. Smaller scenarios of Flying Colors and its follow on, Serpents of the Seas, can be played in a few hours; with impressively large fleets a game can take all day. I'd be wiling to plan doing one of those games during the days you are around, and they can easily run with 2-3 people so we wouldn't be dependent on anyone else's schedule. Lee Hamer (ThatLee) is also a free agent without a heavy daytime game so we could probably get him interested too.

Now Roger is the guy with several of the games you're interested in (Here I Stand and SPW), and he's a bit of a Luddite so he doesn't get on to the forums as often and it may take a bit to get it all nailed down. Lee Hanna (ThisLee) brings God's Playground (which I had a blast playing last year), and he's going to be at the fest for the first half or so. He will be running Flat Top one evening but I don't know what other plans he has; he's usually good for quick games and ones with aviation theme.

kqrgcw
Captain
Captain

Post by kqrgcw » Sun Jan 25, 2015 2:01 am

FIRST, i am not a Luddite. I just have limited time due to work to look at much on the computer.

Second, Monday will be fine for Here I Stand. Since this will be the first time through for us it won't be done that night but folks can get a good feel for this type of game and continue as time is available.

As info, My favorite era's are American Civil war, First worl war, East front, and a slight but growing interest in the Spanish Civil War.

SPW's Der Weltkreig is a monster game but very easy to learn and once you get the grasp of it fairly quick to play. Basically, there is a short admin phase, movement, combat, and some more quick admin and on to the next turn. I don't think I have seen the Marne 1918 game but would be interested in seeing it

ThisLee
Captain
Captain

Post by ThisLee » Sun Jan 25, 2015 4:06 am

Tuesday night for God's Playground, then? Or some afternoon during turn-lulls?

DaveM1
Major
Major

Post by DaveM1 » Sun Jan 25, 2015 1:34 pm

kqrgcw wrote:FIRST, i am not a Luddite. I just have limited time due to work to look at much on the computer.

Sorry, Roger, I stand corrected!
:lol:

Thohead
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by Thohead » Fri Jan 30, 2015 2:50 pm

This Lee

Could you schedule God's Playground for some other evening (or day) besides Tues? I'm very interested in playing, but I know I can't attend on Tues due to obligations.

Thomas

Thohead
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by Thohead » Fri Jan 30, 2015 2:58 pm

kqrgcw wrote: Second, Monday will be fine for Here I Stand. Since this will be the first time through for us it won't be done that night but folks can get a good feel for this type of game and continue as time is available.

As info, My favorite era's are American Civil war, First worl war, East front, and a slight but growing interest in the Spanish Civil War.

SPW's Der Weltkreig is a monster game but very easy to learn and once you get the grasp of it fairly quick to play. Basically, there is a short admin phase, movement, combat, and some more quick admin and on to the next turn. I don't think I have seen the Marne 1918 game but would be interested in seeing it[/color]

I am very familiar with Here I Stand and it can be a long game (6-8 hours). Perhaps it can be started earlier in the afternoon? It could dovetail well if played simultaneously while others are playing a monster game, because it has asymmetric play. The Protestant and Papacy tend to take considerable more time to play with their religious actions (I could play one of those powers). If it is played earlier, I can probably get 1 other player. If you play it on the weekend, I'm confident I can find another experienced player.

ThisLee
Captain
Captain

Post by ThisLee » Sat Jan 31, 2015 5:32 am

Thohead wrote:Could you schedule God's Playground for some other evening (or day) besides Tues? I'm very interested in playing, but I know I can't attend on Tues due to obligations.
I can do it as late as Weds., I'm leaving that evening.

DaveM1
Major
Major

Post by DaveM1 » Sat Jan 31, 2015 12:03 pm

Roger:

Are you planning to set up SPW for play on Saturday? Looks like there is some interest in playing that on Saturday and/or Sunday.

TEJ
Captain
Captain

Post by TEJ » Sat Jan 31, 2015 4:18 pm

Dave,

Would you bring the side-game schedule up to date, per your modus operandi at the top of the thread, and let us all know what's happening on which day and time? If things need to move, so new players can participate (thereby luring them into our den of gaming depravity, so they want to come next year too), then please go ahead and make the tentative change (it's all tentative, I'm sure).

I'll run Close Action any evening Saturday through Wednesday.
I really want to play Flattop, something by SPW, and the games about the 1500's-1600's in Europe (I'm unclear how many of those are under discussion, but I'll try any that someone breaks out; I enjoy the topic and haven't ever played a game about it).
I can probably be convinced to play almost anything else that people have raised as possibilities (WW1 air, e.g.).

Todd