FInding new gamers in your area

HQ for planning the next gaming event in Sandusky
DaveM1
Major
Major

FInding new gamers in your area

Post by DaveM1 » Sun Aug 24, 2014 10:47 pm

Came across this tip on the Boardgamegeek site, and it's actually worked out for me - found a 3 man Eurogamer group, and even better found an area guy who plays Civil War games, Combat Commander, and has a shelf that includes Kiev to Rostov among other familiar titles. If I can find that in the wilds of Erie County, who knows what you folks can come across!

I realize this may be old hat to you but I"m posting it anyway in case some don't know the trick.

So it turns out that buried in the Boardgamegeek website menu is a "Find a member using Google Maps" feature. After entering your zip, you'll get a map with map icons showing which surrounding zip codes have BGG members. Click on the icon and you'll see the user IDs for each user; then click on the user and you get their profile. If they've listed their games, you can scan to see whose include wargames we like...and we're in business!

Now up my way, there weren't that many accounts to check, so it didn't take long. I Geek messaged likely prospects, and the two I mentioned got back to me. I've played with both and had good times, will likely keep getting together. (The eurogamer guys had included a few wargames, but I've got the impression that I won't likely tempt them back to the One True Path...but you never know!

DaveM1
Major
Major

Re: FInding new gamers in your area

Post by DaveM1 » Sun Aug 24, 2014 10:50 pm

Oops, forgot to say where the option is buried. Go to the main menu bar, click the carat next to "misc", then hunt for the "find users" entry. Click that, and you get a submenu page that includes "Find Gamers (with Google Maps)". When you click that, a map (I think defaulted to your ISP location) comes up. Go to the bottom and enter the "postal code" if necessary to adjust.

The profile includes "last login", which culls out inactive and unlikely to see your message guys too.

tombeach
Major
Major

Post by tombeach » Mon Aug 25, 2014 6:28 pm

Thanks, Dave! What a fabulous and most useful idea. Much appreciated.

Tom

DaveM1
Major
Major

Post by DaveM1 » Tue Aug 26, 2014 8:57 pm

Well, can't say I deserve the credit. Stumbled across the idea when killing time on the BGG site, so not my idea at all.

But glad it looks good!!

Madison
Uber-Oberst
Uber-Oberst

Post by Madison » Sat Aug 30, 2014 12:31 pm

Nice find. I need to update my BGG profile to show I'm in Ann Arbor now. :shock: