Side Game Proposals

HQ for planning the next gaming event in Sandusky
ThisLee
Captain
Captain

Re: Side Game Proposals

Post by ThisLee » Sun Dec 07, 2014 4:15 am

thatlee wrote:Thanks for the answer Tom. I sort of suspected BA would be too much to take on. If it is not too much trouble, please bring the game to the Fest, I would love to look it over.
Yes, what he said!

kqrgcw
Captain
Captain

Post by kqrgcw » Sun Dec 07, 2014 10:39 pm

I will bring the entire SPW set so people can see it. I will have to refresh the rules for myself a bit. If I get the time I can type out a quick summary.

Will bring here I stand as well. I'll try to master the rules but I also have to get EFS down pat.

Anyway this is beginninf to "......be very interesting...."

Roger

thatlee
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major

Post by thatlee » Mon Dec 08, 2014 8:04 pm

Roger,
Yes, please bring the entire SPW series of games. And think about an area or campaign you would like to focus on...for me the east front in 1914 seems really cool (I would be happy to take the Russians or the AH Empire)...at any rate an SPW campaign may end up being my main focus during the Fest. So I am very interested in playing this system. For those who have not played SPW, please keep this game in mind, we may be able to get a multi-player game going...this is a very clean and interesting system. For crying out loud we have to play some WWI game during the 100 year anniversary time frame!

Here I Stand - me, Roger, Dave...anyone else? Todd? Rich? Lee (thislee)?

Dave,
Are you interested in giving Hoplite a try? Please bring the game to the Fest. I would like to get into a face to face GBOH game. I don't have much experience with the system, but I have played 2 games of Chariots of Fire (solitaire) so I know what to expect, more or less, with Hoplite.
C&C Ancients was fast and fun too. Very nice game. Please bring C&C Ancients to the Fest!

Air War Games
Since Bloody April is, in all likelyhood, a non-issue, what other air games can we play? Downtown has been mentioned (great game, really enjoyed playing it with Dave 2 years ago).
I have Burning Blue and Bomber Command...anyone interested?

This year I hope to get into Flattop, which seems like a really good WWII naval/air game.

Lee

TEJ
Captain
Captain

Post by TEJ » Mon Dec 08, 2014 9:29 pm

I would quite like to have a game of Hoplite. I bought it for my son, who's into ancient history, but he doesn't have the patience to learn it himself or fuddle with me through learning it. If I knew how, it would be easier to school him.

I'm 'hands waving' again for Flattop, which I really enjoy. I'd be very happy to play a few double blind of that.

If someone wants to teach Downtown, Burning Blue, (etc) I'd sit-in. If anyone has CY6, that's easily my favorite air game (at a different scale, of course, than the aforementioned titles).

SPW: yes, I'd like that. I don't think we should try some sort of gigantic grand campaign thing, though; just one theater I think would be best for almost everyone learning the first time and not some first priorities.

Todd

DaveM1
Major
Major

Post by DaveM1 » Mon Dec 08, 2014 10:01 pm

I can bring Hoplite, and I'll put it on my list to crack open and learn. During the gaps in my GOSS/AW study, that is....

I'll also bring my copies of Whistling Death, Buffalo Wings, and (should arrive under the tree) Achtung! Spitfire!. Don't have those rules down either.

And Command & Colors is a definite. Used my annual GMT sale option for the Expansion 2/Expansion 3 combo pack for C&C. Hasn't arrived yet but it's been shipped, they say. At least THIS one I know the rules for!

Todd, didn't Lee run a double blind Flattop set with you as the hordes of Nippon last year?

Lee Hamer: do I recall that Burning Blue is much like Downtown but set in the Battle of Britain? Love that theme...

And about Here I Stand. Actually a little nervous about playing this one, as I'm finding I don't thrive in games with infinite possibilities...and my experience with Virgin Queen included lots of boredom because I got hammered early (after a totally unforced error!) and spent the rest of the game running around putting bandaids on various disasters in my homeland. No options to actually take some initiate; My turns took 30 sec, and had 30 - 45 minutes between them.

thatlee
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major

Post by thatlee » Tue Dec 09, 2014 5:43 pm

Here I Stand
Dave, you bring up some interesting points regarding HIS and VQ. Regarding multi-player play and early knockouts - yeah, this is an
inherent problem. I've played Diplomacy several times and guys can lose fast...then what do they do, watch tv the rest of the night?
However, I have to say that in my experience most players give up too fast. Once the game starts to slip away, if you can make yourself useful to stronger powers (by being a buffer, or by using unique capabilites), then sometimes there will be enough breathing space to get back into the game. At this point you have to rely on diplomacy and cutting deals with others. The group play style is important too. Personally, I don't usually play for total hegemony, but rather for a balace of power (most Diplomacy players in a tournament think I'm an idiot). One way to push this style along is to limit the game to 3-4 hours at the most, which I would recommend for us, if we play.

Regarding 'infinite possibilities' - I can rarely follow more than one line of thought, so I am immune to such concerns. For instance, in HIS, if I am playing the Papal forces my strategy would be to burn heretics. If that does not work...burn more heretics! But seriously, there are strong geopolical tensions and potentials that each player must respect or lose quickly. If the game is well designed, the victory conditions will line up with historical geopolitical imperatives. As a practical matter, each player will only have 2-3 core issues to focus on. It might seem like there are infinite possibilities, but really, there are only a few core concerns for each player. Now, the many ways open to the players to achieve those geopolitical concerns by a combination of game play and diplomacy allows for many, many possible outcomes...but if you know the 2-3 core concerns of your faction, it is easy to go from there.

Whoever plays the Hapsburg faction will not be bored, as they are central to the situation, so you might consider that. If the Hapsburgs go down fast, well the game is pretty much over anyway. On the other hand, the Hapsburgs (Charles V) has to deal with the most unknowns and possibities...

I have not played VQ or HIS, so I don't really know if any of the above applies...but such are my experiences of other multi-player geopolitical games. I think they are a huge amount of fun and offer a really cool playing experience, but it is best to approach them from a certain point of view.

Lee

thatlee
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major

Post by thatlee » Tue Dec 09, 2014 5:53 pm

Burning Blue is similar to Downtown in the sense that both games look at a 'day in the life of' sort of picture. In otherwords, Downtown is not about the Rolling Thunder campaign or strategic objectives, just about 1 raid or 1 day of the campaign. Yes, there are rules to stretch play to 2-3 days, but the design focus is on the raid itself.
Now in Downtown, there are flights of aircraft and maneuvering. In Burning Blue, you are dealing with squadrons, so it is more about positioning, refuel status, which squadron to scramble, etc. Any dogfighting is abstracted. I mention this because although the focus of both DT and BB are the same - the raid - the feel of the games is very different.
But I would be happy to bring the game (and re-study the rules) if you want to give it a go. I'll bring Bomber Command too, which is about night bomber raids over Germany in 44-45. Very easy to play, games last an hour or two.

Lee

ThisLee
Captain
Captain

Post by ThisLee » Wed Dec 10, 2014 12:50 am

I would be very happy to play many of the above mentioned:
- Burning Blue: only played once or twice, but eager
- Downtown: played maybe 6 times?
- Whistling Death/Achtung Spitfire!/Buffalo Wings: played the QS versions a handful of times, I'm OK with more. I have that system's jet-age predecessors Air Superiority & Air Strike, too.
- Here I Stand: I'll give it a whirl
- Flattop: I will bring it
- Check Your 6: I think I've played it?

I also intend to bring Squad Leader and Memoir '44, as usual, plus Third World War and Assault series.

I don't know Bomber Command or Hoplite, but they seem worth a look. I've never played SPW, but looks good.

thatlee
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major

Post by thatlee » Wed Dec 10, 2014 5:24 pm

Hey Lee,

Flattop is high on my list. I've missed getting in the past 2 years.
Also, you are going to bring that Polish/euro game again this year? That was a good beer & pretzels game.

Since there is interest in Burning Blue I'll make sure I'm up to speed on the rules. Of course I want to play Downtown and I want to try some of Dave's air combat games too...plenty of air war options this year!

Looks like we might have a group for Here I Stand and an SPW WWI campaign...you are going to be busy Roger!
I think the rules for HIS are on the GMT website, I will try to take a look at them at least a bit

Lee

thatlee
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major

Post by thatlee » Thu Dec 11, 2014 12:10 pm

For those interested in HIS, go to the GMT website. Rules and playbook can be downloaded, and there is a link to a short strategy guide for new players.

Also, on the Decision Games website, there is an extensive video tutorial for the SPW series of games. Now, fair warning, some of these videos are pretty darn sloooow. Like 10 minutes to explain ZOCs - yikes. I just discovered them yesterday and watched a couple, they get better as they go more in depth. The rules are not difficult.

Hope this helps,

Lee