Side Game Proposals

HQ for planning the next gaming event in Sandusky
firefly17pdr
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Re: Side Game Proposals

Post by firefly17pdr » Wed Nov 26, 2014 8:24 pm

Hi Tom. Murfreesboro could be interesting. If you are a fan of Rosecrans, that is interesting. He is from Ohio, you know. BTW - I am related to Braxton Bragg. He is a great great uncle of mine.

Ron

tombeach
Major
Major

Post by tombeach » Thu Nov 27, 2014 3:11 pm

Ron,

Yes, Stone's River has always been a favorite simulation of mine. Even Yaquinto's game was good in my opinion. But the CWB series game is really very good as I understand and I expect is the finest game on the battle available (I own Dead of Winter but have never tried as I'm not a fan of the system).

I fall into that camp which believes Rosecran's got the smelly end of the stick all throughout the war via McClellan, Grant and Dana. Yes, I recall he was from just north of Columbus? I've also visited the web site regarding the recent new statue erected there to him last year. Gonna visit it when I return to CABS next September. I confess that while a lifelong fan, my reading has mostly been limited to study of the East Tennessee Campaign in general and Chickamauga specifically. But after having owned a first edition of "Edge of Glory" by Lammers for more than 30 years, I finally pulled it down and began reading last week. Learning much more about 'Rosy' now. I am first and foremost a Western Theatre fan as I believe it to be much more interesting and pivotal to the loss of the war for the South.

Wow. Bragg is a relative of yours? That's interesting. I'd be curious to get your take on him as I'm sure you've studied him. Along with Hood and Beauregard and their entanglements with him, Bragg remains one of the most fascinating personalities of the war for me. Especially the political intrigue above Chattanooga and Davis' involvements.

Tom

kqrgcw
Captain
Captain

Post by kqrgcw » Thu Nov 27, 2014 10:01 pm

Todd,

WOW, this is great. I loved the SPW series of WWI games after the first one. I'll bring them and we can see how it goes.

Roger.

kqrgcw
Captain
Captain

Post by kqrgcw » Thu Nov 27, 2014 10:11 pm

Ron,

I,m looking forward to playing EFS. I,ve played twice maybe three times. I won't say I am good at it. I mentioned in an earlier post that as the least expierienced maybe I should get the Russians since they got thrashed in the beginning. On the other hand, if enough players it would be great to be mentored by a veteran German on that side. Either way I will go where you think best.

Let me know the side though as I only want to concentrate on the rules for that side.

By the way, I remember last year your mentioning of Bragg as an ancestor. From some of the posts it looks like you might be interested in civil war games also. Maybe as a side those of us so inclined could try something aloing that line or plan for next year.

For what it is worth I always felt Rosecrans got a bum wrap.

Roger

ThisLee
Captain
Captain

Post by ThisLee » Sun Nov 30, 2014 1:52 am

MarkD wrote: I'm still figuring out my plans but I should be there for the last three days (Friday, Saturday, Sunday) and possibly Thursday also. We can schedule Downtown for one of those days?
I think I can do that. I'm usually one of the last ones out the door, so I should be there those last few days. It seems we concentrate more on side games then.

Re: SPW WW1 games: I would like to take a turn at those, too-- I have seen the maps, but never played. I think I have a copy of rules around here?

thatlee
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major

Post by thatlee » Mon Dec 01, 2014 2:33 pm

Hey, this SPW WWI thing is getting some traction!
I have to say I really enjoyed playing the short Tannenburg scenario with Roger last year. The game is not difficult to learn or play, the system feels right, and when we finished playing, I wanted more. The map looks kinda weird, but it allows for interesting terrain complexity.
So Roger, please bring this game to the Fest. We might get a multi-player campaign going.

Also, Roger please bring Here I Stand, a game I've wanted to play for quite some time. It would be best as a multi-player game (4-6 players I seem to recall from looking at the game last year). I think I remember Todd - were you interested in playing this one too? If I can stake an early claim - I get dibs on playing the Papal forces...the idea of burning heretics has great appeal. Of course, Roger you will have to know the rules very well, so you better get busy! Anyone else want to get in on this one?

Finally, is there still interest in a Bloody April game? Sounds great to me. I think thislee is in? Tom will you have time to run this in between Atlantic wall turns?

Lee

DaveM1
Major
Major

Post by DaveM1 » Mon Dec 01, 2014 6:13 pm

I might be interested in "Here I Stand". Played "Virgin Queen" last weekend, and though (as the English) I got utterly squashed I could see the system could be fun.

On the other hand, the incredible flexibility left me feeling like I had no idea what I should do or what constituted a good deal. Which likely accounts for getting utterly squashed lol.

Lee, Bloody April is a possibility as well. It's on my "maybe" list but so far I've been scared off by its reputation for taking enormous amounts of time to play.

I'm finding that while I can play fiddly monsters I tend to enjoy "streamlined" a bit more. Much more impressed when the system ITSELF makes you behave certain ways, as opposed to adding a layer of rules to force you to do it. In consequence, seems to me that if it takes more than 50 pages to do your rules you might not be doing it right...

thatlee
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major

Post by thatlee » Thu Dec 04, 2014 12:31 pm

RE - Bloody April. Dave I share your concerns about playing time. I would lose interest if it took 3 or so hours of real time just to get squadrons airborne and over the trenches. I really wanted to buy this game...but the vibe I get from BGG is that it is very slow and overly detailed. Still, I would like to try it. Tom, is this game a possibility? Will you have time to run this game as a sideline? Is it worth it?

tombeach
Major
Major

Post by tombeach » Thu Dec 04, 2014 2:22 pm

Lee,

I don't disagree with your assessment of Bloody April. It is indeed slow and detailed, although it is well done and with well written rules set. To be honest, I believe AW will consume nearly all of my time whether I'm the active or inactive player. It's such a demanding game system that I can't allow myself to commit to running BA. On the other hand, I would leave open the possibility if everyone involved was up to speed on the rules. Iffy at best as a side game I could manage though.

thatlee
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major

Post by thatlee » Sat Dec 06, 2014 1:31 pm

Thanks for the answer Tom. I sort of suspected BA would be too much to take on. If it is not too much trouble, please bring the game to the Fest, I would love to look it over.

Lee