Side Game Proposals

HQ for planning the next gaming event in Sandusky
ThisLee
Captain
Captain

Re: Side Game Proposals

Post by ThisLee » Mon Sep 01, 2014 8:10 pm

Not a problem, we can work it out, I think.

Madison
Uber-Oberst
Uber-Oberst

Post by Madison » Fri Sep 12, 2014 1:25 pm

My 1st official side game will be DAK with Jim Reasoner. I'm still looking to determine the main game. :mrgreen:

firefly17pdr
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Post by firefly17pdr » Fri Sep 19, 2014 10:49 pm

I wouldn't mind a Civil War game - Shiloh, Gettysburg, or Chickamauga.

Ron

firefly17pdr
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Post by firefly17pdr » Fri Sep 19, 2014 10:50 pm

I could do Wacht Am Rhein as a side game if we chose to play a scenario. Either side would be fine with me. I'd prefer to have a seasoned opponent, as I only have the basics down, and want to use this as a learning experience.

Ron

tombeach
Major
Major

Post by tombeach » Thu Sep 25, 2014 9:28 pm

Ron,

As per Lee's suggestion I am going to be bringing with me several of the CWB series brigade games. And depending on whether there is a game from Line of Battle chosen for one of the big games or not, I plan on bringing the games in that series as well. All would make for good side games.

I'm intrigued with your interest in Wacht Am Rhein. But as you suggested on the other board, I would rather do that as a big game as opposed to a side game. The system (which I really love) is simply too demanding on any scenario level to be played casually on the side, at least for me.

Tom

tombeach
Major
Major

Post by tombeach » Thu Sep 25, 2014 9:31 pm

While I also think one of the bigger games in the series would be an excellent primary game (The Bloody Beach Omaha/GD '42), I would like to suggest any of the games in the TCS series. Great platoon-level games that have plenty of meat without having to buy the whole cow. Excellent side games as well.

Tom

tombeach
Major
Major

Post by tombeach » Fri Oct 03, 2014 10:06 pm

Lee,

While I remain quite interested in playing Bloody April, I wanted to make you aware of a game if you were not already.

I have been anticipating Steve Pancrazio's Canvas Falcons for quite a while now as to be published by Clash of Arms. I found this week that Steve has presented his game for download self-printing. I have investigated it quite deeply this week and have found it to be an incredible looking game where WWI air is concerned. I haven't bought it yet, but plan on doing so this next week or so. Are you up on this publication? Fantastic content for the money $30.00. Of course you have to print yourself. But still, the amount of material and the supposed quality of the counters, the rules and the scenarios is garnering great reviews. Also, the game also includes an operational module which in and of itself looks fascinating.

Check it and share your thoughts, please.

You can also find it under WWI at CSW.

Tom

http://www.warbirdsgs.com

DaveM1
Major
Major

Post by DaveM1 » Sat Oct 04, 2014 12:45 pm

Lee,

Did you end up taking the plunge on Bloody April? Remember you saying that the word on the street had soured you on it. I keep going back to look at it, but it does sound like a bit more than I want to bite off.

Tom,

Quick look reminds me a lot of the Fighting Wing series. Be really interested in your thoughts on how it plays, especially in comparison with JD's system. While I'm way more involved in gaming than past years, realistically I'm not the best at learning systems on my own and I might need to prioritize.

tombeach
Major
Major

Post by tombeach » Sun Oct 05, 2014 8:35 pm

Lee,

Just to be clear, I'm not suggesting we do Canvas Falcons in place of Bloody April. I'm definitely in for BA. Just wanted to gauge your thoughts on what you see.

Dave,

Yes, the quick comparison to FW is a strong first reaction while reading reviews and ratings. But most of those who start out with that comparison quickly point out on how much different it clearly becomes once you read through the rules a second time and start playing. They say the differences are quite noticeable at that point. I will let you know my thoughts once I purchase and get a good grip on it. The fact that it has a strong solitaire rating from players is encouraging as well. Given that and the amount of time I solo games, I hope I can offer you something substantial in a review.

Tom

TEJ
Captain
Captain

Post by TEJ » Mon Oct 06, 2014 8:27 pm

I would be happy to try Fighting Wings (really most air games), the sailing ship/fleet game Dave was mentioning, and anything American Civil War. I will bring and would run Close Action; I think enough people liked it that I can put together a game or two.