Side Game Proposals

HQ for planning the next gaming event in Sandusky
DaveM1
Major
Major

Side Game Proposals

Post by DaveM1 » Tue Aug 12, 2014 10:51 pm

Personally, I've got several I plan on playing. I'd be willing to teach the ones I"ve got, and if anybody's interested in one that's still shrink wrapped on my shelf I'd be happy to learn it too!

:arrow: Flying Colors - man, I've loved this game! It's an Age of Sail game that's optimized for fleet action -- each player would be a division admiral rather than a ship caption -- so it feels fast and interesting. I've played multiple times solo, played one scenario with Lee and Rich, and did about half a scenario with Merv, Shawn, and Roger. Would be willing to play smaller scenarios all the way up to a massive mega game like Trafalgar if their's interest.

Also have the sequel, which adds card driven dynamics.

:arrow: Buffalo Wings It's the starter set for the Fighting Wings system of hex-and-counter tactical air games. Not card driven or gimmicky - it comes down to what moves you make to see how well you set up your shot. Each player takes an aircraft and flies as part of the squadron to try to achieve scenario goals. The "Buffalo Wings" title comes from the focus on Finnish Brewsters that reamed the Soviets after the first outbreak of war.

:arrow: Combat Commander Just learning this one, which I bought on sale for a can't turn it down price. It's tactical scale and tries to recreate the chaos of war by being completely card driven....all combat, movement, and special events are determined by what cards you draw and especially how you play your hand. If you're a control freak, not the game for you - it puts a premium on improvising to do what you can with what's available, even if it's not what you had planned at game's beginning.

:arrow: Still shrinkwrapped - The Dark Valley - an eastfront game that I'm really interested in trying out, when I catch up with other stuff. Quoting from description: "The game uses a random chit draw activation system. Chits include Move, Combat, Panzer Army activation, Soviet Counterattack and Deep Battle. The exact chit mix depends on the year, the weather, and to a degree, player's choice. There is also a Logistics chit so that when to check supply is variable each turn. The Germans draw supply from depots that move (by die roll) a variable amount each turn, but may use Panzer HQs to extend supply." Unpredictability and improvisation, and managing limited resources seem to be a trend for me....

:arrow: still shrinkwrapped - Fighting Formations- Grossdeutchland Motorized Infantry Division Another tactical game, listing for $80 that I grabbed at $18. From what I've read, this one adds a orders matrix, so when a player performs high value actions it increases the likelihood that initiative will shift to the opponent. In other words, if I chose to do low value things like resupply, move units that are out of contact, etc I get to keep doing stuff; but if I go for broke and order a formation to assault then the opponent is going to respond...and the kind of orders he responds with determine how fast it swings back to me. A whole meta level of flexibility and tactics.

ThisLee
Captain
Captain

Re: Side Game Proposals

Post by ThisLee » Fri Aug 15, 2014 3:05 am

I don't know most of your suggestions, I may try them.

Buffalo Wings: I've played the QuickStart version of this game's predecessor, so I am down with that.

I'd rather do Squad Leader than Combat Commander, but that's a familiarity & comfort issue.

I'll still bring Flattop, God's Playground, Downtown, Memoir 44, and who knows what else.

tombeach
Major
Major

Post by tombeach » Mon Aug 25, 2014 6:14 pm

You guys are making some excellent side games suggestions.

I would be especially interested in playing some Fighting Wings Series games. Haven't played Buffalo Wings yet but would be up for it. I will bring Whistling Death and Top Cover in that regard. On a related and simpler note I will bring along Bloody April, another very good-looking game which I have been trying to get around to as I am partial to WWI Air. Speaking of which, I'd love to introduce anyone interested to Craig Taylor's masterpiece, Wings if there is an appetite for WWI.

ThisLee
Captain
Captain

Post by ThisLee » Tue Aug 26, 2014 9:18 pm

Tom: I am definitely interested in Bloody April I've loved Downtown and liked Burning Blue, so I'd like to take a turn with the system.

tombeach
Major
Major

Post by tombeach » Thu Aug 28, 2014 4:35 pm

Bloody April sounds great. I have Elusive Victory and Burning Blue, both of which I've never played but would like to. But my passion in air games is WW1. I used to play Yaquinto's Wings to death back in the day. I look forward to a side game of BA then.

DaveM1
Major
Major

Post by DaveM1 » Fri Aug 29, 2014 11:52 am

ThisLee wrote:I don't know most of your suggestions, I may try them.

Buffalo Wings: I've played the QuickStart version of this game's predecessor, so I am down with that.

I'd rather do Squad Leader than Combat Commander, but that's a familiarity & comfort issue.

I'll still bring Flattop, God's Playground, Downtown, Memoir 44, and who knows what else.

I've never played Squad Leader, and the rule book's (I mean Rule BOOKS' reputation has me really hesitant to go there. So far I've found Combat Commander to be one of those with fairly straightforward rules, but very deep play. Biggest thing to get used to is the unpredictability - you literally never know what sudden twist may arrive, so flexibility is a must.

Had an absolute blast playing God's Playground last year, would love another go.

tombeach wrote:Bloody April sounds great. I have Elusive Victory and Burning Blue, both of which I've never played but would like to. But my passion in air games is WW1. I used to play Yaquinto's Wings to death back in the day. I look forward to a side game of BA then.
I've loved WW1 air since doing the campaign version of Richtofen's War, way back in the day. Bloody April has an online reputation for being oppressively detailed, hard to get through even simple sorties. Not sure if that's justified - what do you think?

And I'd be up for a Civil War game. What's your favorite along those lines? Just met a guy who splits his time between Euros and wargames, almost always solo for the wargames (until we met at least - heh). He's been into Squad Leader, then Combat Commander, now Panzer....and has a big stable of Civil War stuff we haven't even talked about. If we got one going, might get him to show up for an evening.

Madison
Uber-Oberst
Uber-Oberst

Post by Madison » Sat Aug 30, 2014 12:27 pm

DAK - Have been wanting to play this for a while. It's a good 2 player game.

The Mighty Endeavor - SCS by MMP. Simple, fun and another good quick paced 2 player game

tombeach
Major
Major

Post by tombeach » Sat Aug 30, 2014 9:52 pm

I've loved WW1 air since doing the campaign version of Richtofen's War, way back in the day. Bloody April has an online reputation for being oppressively detailed, hard to get through even simple sorties. Not sure if that's justified - what do you think?

And I'd be up for a Civil War game. What's your favorite along those lines? Just met a guy who splits his time between Euros and wargames, almost always solo for the wargames (until we met at least - heh). He's been into Squad Leader, then Combat Commander, now Panzer....and has a big stable of Civil War stuff we haven't even talked about. If we got one going, might get him to show up for an evening.
Bloody April is admittedly a bit detailed. And admittedly, I like detailed games. So my opinion after having read the rules was that it is very doable and not overly complex even for a side game. Plus it offers something no other WWI air game does -- squadron-level play which nicely expands missions to greater scope than just shoot 'em-ups plane-to-plane. As well, it brings the ground war into play, which I'm really anxious to try. So no, I don't think it too much for us.

I'd be up for Squad Leader if we were to keep it to perhaps SL and COI only? Ton's-o fun in that realm.

Glad to hear of your interest in Civil War, Dave. Personally, I am a huge fan of the CWB series. Because they're brigade level the games are usually quite small with many offering one-mapper games/scenarios and are low counter density. I have taught several players this series cold. You can step right into a game. Of course you can download the v3.2 rules from MMP's support page as well to get a head start. LoB (Line of Battle) series regimental games, also by Essig, make for great fast-play multiplayer Civil War games. Again, you can learn the system cold in a turn or two. Small scenarios from Last Chance for Victory or None But Heroes abound. I would not recommend any of the Berg series games as the rules are interminably a mess and too deep for side game play (at least IMHO).
DAK - Have been wanting to play this for a while. It's a good 2 player game.

The Mighty Endeavor - SCS by MMP. Simple, fun and another good quick paced 2 player game
I'm a big Africa/Med fan and would love to try DAK as well. But it is OCS and as such will probably play quite slow compared to other suggestions (as you certainly are aware, John).

Any of the SCS series games are always winners for side games.
Tom: I am definitely interested in Bloody April I've loved Downtown and liked Burning Blue, so I'd like to take a turn with the system.
Me too!

ThisLee
Captain
Captain

Post by ThisLee » Sun Aug 31, 2014 10:13 pm

tombeach wrote: Bloody April is admittedly a bit detailed. And admittedly, I like detailed games. So my opinion after having read the rules was that it is very doable and not overly complex even for a side game. Plus it offers something no other WWI air game does -- squadron-level play which nicely expands missions to greater scope than just shoot 'em-ups plane-to-plane. As well, it brings the ground war into play, which I'm really anxious to try. So no, I don't think it too much for us.
Not a problem for me, anyway.
I'd be up for Squad Leader if we were to keep it to perhaps SL and COI only? Ton's-o fun in that realm.
I can deal with that. I may have some trouble remembering which rules would not be in play from the other 2 modules.

tombeach
Major
Major

Post by tombeach » Mon Sep 01, 2014 12:43 am

I can deal with that. I may have some trouble remembering which rules would not be in play from the other 2 modules.
I'm being a bit selfish in that I feel I won't find the time to get beyond COI in time. Plus I never even played GI.