Game Proposals

HQ for planning the next gaming event in Sandusky
DaveM1
Major
Major

Re: Game Proposals

Post by DaveM1 » Sat Nov 22, 2014 4:39 pm

As long as I know what's up coming in, and as long as others are in the same boat, I'm OK with it.

My attitude will be "Well, that's why we brought some side games!"

tombeach
Major
Major

Post by tombeach » Sat Nov 22, 2014 5:08 pm

Merv & Dave,

Obviously you've had experience enough to estimate procedures and play time os same. I agree with them given my limited knowledge and not having actually played those modules yet.

It really comes down to this for me. As difficult as it is to walk in cold to a developed situation, I am willing to do so. I believe the goal is to play out the battles for Caen, Bayeux, St Lo and the inland battles which will decide the battle ultimately anyway. So giving up our limited involvement in the initial stages is a sacrifice I am willing to make.

Ideally, it would be nice to see the air and beach landings completed by the Allied players a full week before WF and an email/pictures detailing our impending situation forwarded to Dave and I for at least some study and strategy time here. I really don't know how big a task that presents, but assume it would be huge and probably undoable. Your thoughts on that Merv would be helpful.

As ever, I will do what you think best for the gaming experience for the week.

Tom

ThisLee
Captain
Captain

Post by ThisLee » Sat Nov 22, 2014 8:42 pm

Madison wrote:Just doing an update again on what is going on game wise (main games only listed with main game players)

Please reply to this to make sure I'm accurate with game/team assignments so far?
looked like Roger was interested in Battle for Normandy?

thatlee
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major

Post by thatlee » Sun Nov 23, 2014 2:47 am

Hello,

I'm a little late joining the forum. Thanks John for unlocking me!
I am currently unattached to any monster games. This is not necessarily a bad thing, the side game proposals that have been bandied about have caught my interest - Civil War, Bloody April, Downtown, Here I Stand, various naval games...I would love to get involved in any or all of these. Only problem is who else has free time during the day?

Roger, if you want to play a campaign version of that WWI system you have, I would be up for that too...
I could bring some games - PQ17, Chariots of Fire, Bomber Command, Burning Blue

Well, I suppose I should have posted this in the side games folder. I started out intending to answer John's question about who is playing what. Now I am wondering if it feasible to make side games the main event. I' like to firm up the possibilities, but let's move the discussion to the side games folder.

Lee Hamer

Racine
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Post by Racine » Sun Nov 23, 2014 7:19 am

Just finished reading the AW postings in the Game Proposals thread (can't we have a separate thread for this game?). I have yet to push any counters in this game so you Allies should have an easy time of it in February. I was at Winterfest 2013 and had a great time playing WaR with little pregame experience also, so I am not terribly worried about winning or losing at AW. Heck, I am there to have fun and you guys know how to do that. Therefore I am quite willing to come in cold and deal with whatever situation pregame resolution of the airdrops and beach landing presents. Or, observe those activities and learn good play tactics for a future game where I might be an Allied player. So I defer to your good judgement.

MTierney
Major
Major

Post by MTierney » Sun Nov 23, 2014 1:37 pm

Dave, Tom, Dave, Lee,
Thanks for your feedback on initial AW play. Based on what you said, lets go with the landings ahead of the Fest. I can assure you that both Shawn and I will do our best when we are wearing our Wehrmacht uniforms! Once we complete each beach landing we will send you all a series of photos of the operational/tactical situation to study. Since we have Utah started, expect that first. Then we will start the British beaches and finally Omaha. Saving the worst for last! Per Dave's suggestion, look for a new thread I will start on AW only. I will try to keep a general discussion going of the ongoing progress.

I really believe this is the best way to handle this short of having a German player locally. It will allow all of us to be actively involved on Day One and should start things off right.

Rich,
Hoping to hear back from you also. Thanks.
Merv

kqrgcw
Captain
Captain

Post by kqrgcw » Sun Nov 23, 2014 11:52 pm

Every time we get a new Postmaster, which seems to be yearly, I go through this. After a personal plea I will get to take the Winterfest week off as AL. However, I don't think I will get the Friday the 6th off. I might be able to leave early, but I and Maggie will not be driving up till after 5:00 PM Friday probably. At worst we will arrive on Saturday but I think it will be Friday.

I will be lucky to get there by 8:00 - 9:00 PM.

Just to clarify I will be playing the EFS game with Ron and I belive John.

I can bring the WWI series and see how it goes as a side and a few others.

Ron, I will start studying the German rules again and with some personal notes hope to be mostly proficient.

If you want to send me any notes and tips from your experiance e-mail me at maggie_baier@yahoo.com

I only check my e-mails about once a week so be patient.

Once again. I will be there Friday but it will probably be late.

Roger

mignered
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Post by mignered » Tue Nov 25, 2014 2:39 am

Looking forward to my first Winterfest. This promises to be really focused gaming.

Will be playing OCS Case Blue with Jim, Troy, et al. We will be doing the November 19, 1942 start. I will be handling the Red Army in the south running the encirclement operation at Stalingrad (Operation Uranus). Jim Reasoner will be doing Operation Mars.
Troy will be Von Manstien?

This game can go either way. Neither side has a lock.

Looking forward to meeting new friends and seeing old ones like Lee Hanna and Tom Beach.

firefly17pdr
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Post by firefly17pdr » Thu Dec 04, 2014 7:41 pm

Ok. last I have heard is that Todd has expressed an interest in joining the game on the German side. He mentioned an interest in AGN/northern half of AGC, and Roger can do the southern half of AGC and AGS. That will make a good combination. John and I can play the Russians, and I really have no problem going against either sector. I know John is chomping at the bit to be the Russians too!

This could really be fun. I'd like to put the moves on a computer so we can save the game and take it back up next year. Now that would be a first!!

Ron

firefly17pdr
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Post by firefly17pdr » Thu Dec 04, 2014 8:17 pm

Tom - I read your comments on the EFS system, and maybe I can help move you in the right direction. In my opinion, starting off on K2R is a rough way of starting into the system. Its like a half of a game. A really good game to play and to cut your teeth on is Crimea, which has all of the latest rules and charts and tables. All of the scenarios are small, and the counter density is also small. Two of the biggest modules are the Battle for Odessa and the fighting around the Sea of Azov. The campaign for Sevastopol is interesting in that it teaches about the reduced hex sides in major cities. Its almost a game within a game!!

The rules are organized like an outline. They begin with an overview of the turn sequence, and this is then followed by breaking the sequence down into smaller and more detailed information that deal with that part of the sequence at hand. It took me about four good readings of the rules for it to suddenly click, but it did, and it made a huge difference for me. I can remember playing this beast at Merv's and getting really confused and frustrated, and it frankly wasn't until recently that I really got into this system and see the beauty of it. Experience is a big factor, and having a coach or a mentor while playing this really helps. I have never had a problem with soak-offs as the German, because I have always managed to retain the initiative and keep the Soviets off balance. OTOH, I have learned that with the Soviets you need to learn to preserve your force while trading territory for time. The Axis will outrun their supplies, and when that happens, the Soviets have a chance to begin massing their forces and can begin counter-attacking effectively. Remember that the Soviets are required to make mandated attacks, and although they may seem stupid and non-sensible, they can serve as an opportunity to attrit the Axis forces even just a little bit. A 2:1 attack that causes a one step Axis loss is one he will have trouble replacing in the future.

I certainly understand the frustration of having to fight a running battle and watching your army melt away under the slaughter of the German Panzer forces. Your replacements will begin to slowly be re-built, and as the Axis forces take losses, attacks on the Soviets become less and less, and the odds shift slowly from 8:1 to 3:1, and you begin exceeding losses with replacements! It is an art to be able to play the Russians, as you have to play for the long term and not let all of the losses get to you. There is always an opportunity after the Axis does something to slow him down somewhere else, or cause him casualties. Upsetting his timetable requires a lot of planning and effort, and is a real challenge to the Russian player. In that lies the fun of being the Russian. Its not that you are a masochist - its having the patience to wear down the enemy and put him into the position where he is finally reacting to the slow shift in initiative.

Many of your concerns with rules can come with experience and good coaching. Please stop by our game and take a turn or two with us, and I will show you where the Iron Crosses grow!!

Ron