Game Proposals

HQ for planning the next gaming event in Sandusky
firefly17pdr
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Re: Game Proposals

Post by firefly17pdr » Sat Nov 08, 2014 12:13 am

Well you really got to one of the points that really bother me about the games in particular. I really get upset when "house rules" are implemented without any consideration on the outcome of the game. I am reminded of the "Grand Europa" game we tried several years ago where we started in June of "44. It was really a toughie on the East Front - not knowing suitable replacement rules or OOB's - and tweaking rules for movement and attacks. The results were improbable, and certainly not due to poor play. The west panned out better I thought, but it was because we were playing RAW.

I was also involved in several OCS games where the supplies were fantastically increased, and in one case it caused the game to end decisively in about a third of the calendar time. I would really like to stay away from "house rules". They wind up ruining the game(s).

Here is a thought for consideration: lets set up AGN/AGC/AGS and hammer away at it for as long as we can. It might only last about 20 turns, but we are experienced enough to slash through the turns without having to stop every five minutes and research a rule. When you are not playing you can join your DAK game, and I can nap. :D Another thing is that you and I play opposite sides and let anyone who is even slightly interested to sit in on the game on either side and use it as a tutorial. perhaps with some training and understanding of the system we can show other gamers that the system is easy to play and really models the Eastern Front very effectively.

What do you think?

Ron

tombeach
Major
Major

Post by tombeach » Tue Nov 11, 2014 2:57 am

I couldn't agree with you more, Ron. House rules, especially wholesale changes are always the perfect recipe for disaster and I stay away at all costs.

kqrgcw
Captain
Captain

Post by kqrgcw » Tue Nov 11, 2014 9:41 pm

My computer was down for repairs for two weeks so I am just getting to look at stuff again. I can see joining a Battle for Normandy game. I am also intrigued by the EFS system so can see that as well. Still love the civil war but there doesn't seem to be much interest. I think you are all missing out on an interesting period.

As an aside, the idea of putting EFS on a computer to store and taking it up again sounds intriguing.

Soak off attacks might need some adjustment in EFS.

The weather problem could possibly be solved by a modified random/historial system. Let's say that in the summer there was one mud turn on a front. Once you roll that you are done for that season. That might eliminate the bogging down that took place before.

Just some thought.

So I can see doing either BFN or EFS for me. Maybe a civil war game on the side if anyone wants to or maybe some of those GMT ones like Here I stand etc.

Roger

tombeach
Major
Major

Post by tombeach » Tue Nov 11, 2014 11:03 pm

Hi Roger,

I agree. There is much out there where Civil War is concerned. Especially with the new LoB series by Dean as well as the CWB series not to mention a very old but good regimental system by Command Perspectives which included Sharpsburg and Road To Washington. I wish I had known of yours and it appears, others interest earlier when I was posting Civil War suggestions. I would've gladly run or become involved in one of those series games. As it is I'm committed to AW. But I'd be willing to do one of those series as a very lite, small side game should time permit. Please let me know of your personal interests in this regard and we'll see what happens.

Tom

tombeach
Major
Major

Post by tombeach » Fri Nov 14, 2014 1:39 am

We started our AW training yesterday. Wow! What a difference a two year break can have! We began the process of getting our GOSS chops back by taking a simple approach, concentrating on the ground rules, including stacking, movement and combat, leaving Command, Supply and Logistics aside for now. By the time we finished we had re-learned quite a bit and were having some fun to boot. What this small session did was reaffirm how much I love this system and it gave us great encouragement and excitement to get together again as soon as possible! I'm not so sure I prefer the wholesale changes to the Fire Support Missions rules. While simpler to be sure, it seemed too much change for the sake of change. Small point. What did disappoint was all of the typo's and grammatical errors which were most rampant in the Fire Support rules for some strange reason (the first write on these new rules would explain I suppose). Still, warts and all, I genuinely love the system, primarily because of the tactical flavor (okay... chrome) injected into the battalion scale and that all of the rules (and there are many of them!) and the multiple layering they present, makes sense.

Merv, have you and Shawn begun training? If so, how is it going with you guys?

Do we have any additional players committed? Or is it still just the four of us? And without word yet, Dave and I are assuming we'll be the German team.

I look forward to hearing from your Merv, when you can manage it.

Tom

DaveM1
Major
Major

Post by DaveM1 » Fri Nov 14, 2014 8:02 pm

I'm in for Atlantic Wall. I've got the rule set downloaded and will work a bit on it over the next few weeks. Merv and Shawn did a landing module demonstration, and it looks great. I don't have a a copy, but Merv's loaned me Wacht am Rhein and I plan to use it with the Atlantic Wall rules to get into shape.

tombeach
Major
Major

Post by tombeach » Fri Nov 14, 2014 9:42 pm

That sounds great, Dave. Welcome! Presume you will be the third Allied player? That's actually what Dave and I did as well. We played the 'To Save Bastogne" scenario as I hadn't had time yet to spray and cut AW counters. As you know it hardly matters when you're just pushing counters around. Great scenario too. As I'm sure Merv has expressed, GOSS plays very well and reasonably quickly after you're acclimated. Watch out for that structured movement order as it can reek havoc! :x But it really makes a player plan ahead, as it should be. Have fun.

Tom

MTierney
Major
Major

Post by MTierney » Sun Nov 16, 2014 5:00 pm

Tom,Dave,

Sorry for the lapse in response. Been sick all week and not doing much. To catch up.....

Shawn and I did do a quick demo at Dave's last weekend but did not get far. Still struggling with Joe Youst's rules. We started over yesterday with the Utah Beach set up. The airborne game went well and no real problems. I really like the hidden units and all the rules make sense.

Then there is the landing.......
We are really struggling to understand what happens once a beach is cleared. After eight hours yesterday we were pretty frustrated, looking through the rules a dozen times for clarity and there is none. One rule seems at odds with another and there is no ONE place to look. There are little snippets all through the book. I finally got onto Board Game Geek and found we were not the first ones to be scratching our heads. JY did answer some of the questions (previously) but not completely. I posted ours (see "clearing the beach's) and hope he will answer. Right now we are stuck.

I remember this being the case with Joe's "Highway to the Reich" and with WaR. Love his games but really hate his rules writing. It has driven many in our group away from these games.
Merv

kqrgcw
Captain
Captain

Post by kqrgcw » Sun Nov 16, 2014 5:26 pm

Tom,

If you bring a few civil war games I'll bring a few of mine and we can see what happens. If nothing else we can get something in the works for next year.

Ron,

I'm in on yuur East Front game. I will start going over the rules again. I'm not as good as you guys but I don't think I will do too bad. Maybe as the probably least experianced I should take the "half asiatic hordes of asia".

I check this about once a week so will look in again next weekend.

Roger

Madison
Uber-Oberst
Uber-Oberst

Post by Madison » Mon Nov 17, 2014 2:42 pm

Just doing an update again on what is going on game wise (main games only listed with main game players)

Atlantic Wall
Allies: Merv, Shawn
Axis: Tom Beach, Dave
Unknown: Dave M ?

BfN
Allies: Todd ?
Unknown: This Lee ?, That Lee ?

OCS 42 (Soviet Counter)
Axis: Jeff, Troy
Soviets: Jim, Mark V + 1-2 more Jim is recruiting (names?)

Barbaross EFS
Axis: Ron, Roger
Soviets: John

Potentials and MIA's:

Paul, Rich, Jim Broshot, Jonathan Perry (Madison's friend from Bloomington). Any other potential new people?

I posted on Board Game Geek again.

Please reply to this to make sure I'm accurate with game/team assignments so far?