Game Proposals

HQ for planning the next gaming event in Sandusky
Madison
Uber-Oberst
Uber-Oberst

Game Proposals

Post by Madison » Mon Aug 11, 2014 10:43 pm

Please list games your interested in playing & what side & a player or two of choice you would like to team up with or play against.

Maybe this will help guide a general consensus on what we plan on doing come February.

Madison
Uber-Oberst
Uber-Oberst

Re: Game Proposals

Post by Madison » Mon Aug 11, 2014 11:05 pm

2 Player Side Game options:

DAK - Germans
Mighty Endeavor - Allies

Larger Game Options:

GMT EFS - Russians anywhere, or Germans North or Center
OCS Case Blue & EaTG (not the north) - Prefer Russians
Atlantic Wall (Hesitant due to rules) - Either Side
Battle for Normandy - Americans

TEJ
Captain
Captain

Post by TEJ » Tue Aug 12, 2014 2:39 am

>GMT EFS - Russians anywhere, or Germans North or Center

I could go with a game in this series if as Germans for the first time. I prefer either Center or South, but I suppose the number of players could determine the game.

>Atlantic Wall (Hesitant due to rules) - Either Side

If this is the GOSS rules system, like Wacht am Rhein, it's not for me.

>Battle for Normandy - Americans

I would do this as any force but would prefer an Allied, again for the first time. We could do multiple games of this, perhaps flipping sides or perhaps one scenario starting at the landing and another somewhat later.

I suggest GDW's _Third World War_ series for consideration. The games split naturally into three tables, so there's lots of elbow room and potential for team play.

Madison
Uber-Oberst
Uber-Oberst

Post by Madison » Tue Aug 12, 2014 2:02 pm

Once we have a few more replies, we can start sorting out potential games & teams.

DaveM1
Major
Major

Post by DaveM1 » Tue Aug 12, 2014 10:25 pm

EFS has it on cool factor, just the idea of playing the entire breadth of Barbarossa. On the down side, we've "been there, done that" and I sense that some guys aren't that into the system.

Also just for the pure coolness, I'd think about the Grand Tactical Series with Devil's Cauldron and Where Eagles Dare. Love the idea and the maps are spectacularly beautiful, but don't have experience with them to say how well they play.

Played only a few turns of Battle for Normandy, the Carentan area, and had fun. But I've heard Merv express some reservations about play balance, feeling the Germans have great difficulty holding the Allies to historical results.

I'd give West Wall a shot, didn't mind Wacht on Rhein. Shoot, I'm a bit player, a PFC in the foxhole. I'll go where they tell me! It's all about playing alongside the guys,,,,

tombeach
Major
Major

Post by tombeach » Thu Aug 14, 2014 2:50 am

The Seven Days (9-mapper) CWB Series; The Gamers

Last Chance for Victory LoB Series; The Gamers

The Killing Ground/Overlord; New England Simulations

None But Heroes LoB Series; The Gamers

Sicily: Triumph & Folly; The Gamers

La Bataille de la Moscowa; COA

ThisLee
Captain
Captain

Post by ThisLee » Fri Aug 15, 2014 3:12 am

I'm enthused for Battle for Normandy: My usual experience/preference is Allies, but I will go to either side. My actual preference is the same side as Todd-- I've been playing against him for years on VASSAL and JET, I wanna be on the same side this time around.

No way, Jose, on any GOSS or EFS for me.

I haven't tried any of Tom Beach's suggestions. The Big Civil War game has some appeal, for novelty.

I gave the two-game Market-Garden series a little try, and found it rather fiddly. I would not mind giving it a 2nd try.

I second the motion for Third World War, it is a fun system, and easily 3-4 maps/pairs of players.

tombeach
Major
Major

Post by tombeach » Fri Aug 15, 2014 9:41 pm

I understand where the anti-GOSS sentiment comes from, which is why I withdrew it in advance after thinking on it. A system I really like a lot. But the baggage of the rules system is immense. I say that while not having read the latest edition which came with AW. It has been reorganized. But...

Our group played EFS (K2R) and most of us found it unappealing. Especially the Russian SOP and air rules. We found OCS a much more satisfying system. Of course it might also have had a lot to do with playing the Russians in the summer of '41.

Dave will be playing in the big GTS Market-Garden at BGF next month, while I have played TDC (not WED) numerous times. Fiddly may not be too strong a word for the system. It actually plays smoothly with strict adherence to use of the Flow Charts. The unofficial 2-Cup rules increases play speed as well. There is much subtlety in the tactical execution of the rules which is not a bad thing. But without some previous experience you may learn these subtleties the hard way. That said, I find the system extremely fun to play and would be up for that.

After the BFN game which good friends of mine (hardcore monster gamers) played at BGF 2012, they trashed it, saying that the system was unrealistic and too restrictive regarding the Allies breakout abilities and combined arms. But last year at BGF, Marcus Randall and I had a good discussion on the game. As someone who's opinion I greatly respect, he turned me around on the game, saying Holt had it exactly right and that I should get the game on my table immediately. I know Merv and you guys have played it and wonder what the consensus is? Thought Merv was high on the game last year? But then I've read some negative comments just recently as I recall. Anyway, I too would be up for BFN.

If you've never played The Killing Ground/Overlord, you're missing out on a real gem. IMHO the finest Normandy game out there. The game ports Joe Balkoski's old Victory In The West game series and took it to new heights. Admittedly, the landing rules are deep and require advance study and experience.

CWB series is the pinnacle in brigade-level Civil War gaming. Simple, easy to understand rules, beautiful maps, written orders and the closest thing to actual period field command control I've ever experienced. And while The Seven Days is huge (5.5'x8.5') the counter density is comparatively quite small. I wouldn't recommend it for the sake of novelty. It's far too demanding and unforgiving.

tombeach
Major
Major

Post by tombeach » Tue Aug 19, 2014 6:48 pm

I know there has been a lot of frustration the past few years or so regarding monster games that have proven simply too difficult to play for a con setting. That's why I'd like to invite anyone interested to consider playing either of a couple of extremely playable monsters, "None But Heroes" or "Last Chance for Victory." Fast, simple and clean rules that prove for exciting play that still manages to offer a great feel for Civil War tactics while injecting command and orders at a manageable level.

Either game will accommodate four or more players.

DaveM1
Major
Major

Post by DaveM1 » Wed Aug 20, 2014 4:29 pm

I'd be open to Civil War games, as long as they play well.

Have you tried these as multiplayer? On BGG several posts suggest the action tends to burn units out, leaving them (and their commanders) unable to do much for the rest of the game.

Part of me wonders if we're running out of acceptable monsters. Question for those with strong feelings against certain systems: Are we sure that if we got more familiar with the system and how to work within its quirks, we might be able to have fun with it?

Honestly not suggesting I know the answer, as the systems folks hate might actually have big problems. Just occurs to me that we're having trouble finding something that's both fresh and well received.